Tuesday 6 April 2010

"Sometimes you can't help which way you fall"

So its Easter, time of chocolate an what not. Also time for me to go rambling on about this an that.I guess the main things would be the return of Doctor Who and Ashes to Ashes. An after round one the winner is....Ashes to Ashes. Well it may be pointless comparing the shows and judging them against each other but on the simple fact of which I enjoyed more and left me with a sense of satisfaction then it was Ashes to Ashes. However the real winner was the viewer.
That being said, A2A came out firing on all cylinders with a blinder of first episode. As always there was some brilliant laugh out loud moments of brilliance. While the last 10 minutes left me feeling nervous and heavily curious of what lies ahead.

*small spoiler* The new character of Keats was a brilliant turn. Turning from bumbling friendly investigator to a nasty creepy bastard in seconds. Brilliant writing to make me instantly hate the guy, though his future plans make things look bleak for all concerned.
Some interesting questions and mysteries seem yet to be answer. What is the importance of the world, and what really happened to Sam Tyler? An who's the disfigured man? who ever it is, it most definitely isn't Sam Tyler due to the fact it looks nothing like John Simm.

"You can't stand there" "Yes I can, I just have to stay here with my feet slightly apart." Gene quote of the episode.

As for the return of the doctor. The opener was a strong an interesting episode. Of course after the epic two parter finale of the 10th Doctor things weren't ever going to be on the same scale, nor should they be. What we got was a fairly simple story weaved with some interesting character elements. Most importantly we had a new Doctor to get to know, Matt Smith seems comfortable and a pretty good choice for the new Doctor. Filling the role with humour, charm and a quirky nature. An his look fits the new doctors personality, even if it doesn't look anywhere near as cool as Tennants.
What we most importantly got from the episode is the solid foundations of things to come. The show feels differently and on the path to a new feel to the doctor. I don't think its one I've settled into and feel comfortable with yet but I trust in what Moffets vision of the show is.
That being said some new elements was the interesting "Doctors vision" which is an interesting way to show what the doctor has said before.
"Every waking second, I can see: what is, what was, what could be, what must not. That's the burden of a Time Lord" So it was a nice way to try and show it in a visual sense. I wonder if we will see it later on in the series.

I also like the character of Amy Pond, feisty, cheeky an a little bit sexy. An the fact the two character met in a unique way helps but also interesting that the Doctor has also shaped her to be how she is. Clearly there is some more mysteries behind little Amy, and look forward to seeing more.

Glad also to see Murray Gold is continuing on with scoring the series. His work has been just as important to making the show as anyone else's involvement. With that being said however, new titles look brilliant, nice new logo but the new theme...awful. I'm sorry its lost its impact, after the first tease the old one kicked in with a loud opener so you knew where you were straight off. Now its a more subtle weird start which has no impact. Also the lack of bass Dum-de-dums is really sadly lacking, so feel rather disheartened by the whole thing. An there isn't enough there for it to grow on me sadly.With that being said, I really like the new Doctors "Adventure theme" as I shall call it till it has a proper name. It's really cool and I love the string elements near the start. Its almost as good as "All the strange, strange creatures" which was very much 10's adventure theme. An even if its half as good as that, that's high praise indeed.

I shall leave it there for now, an can't really make a full judgement on how much I like the new Doctor until we are a few more episodes in. One episode is not enough to get a good impression on, we have had no real struggle, or any real emotional depth/danger. An it was the emotional side of the doctor that Tennant portrayed oh so wonderfully. So I shall watch with eager anticipation for what lies ahead for the doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment