Thursday 18 February 2010

"Are you Tekken the mick?"

I finished Tekken 6 today, as in got 100% Trophies and my 3rd Platinum award for my PS3 account. Woo! Ok so there's bound to be loads of people out there with tons more than I have, but I'm pleased I added a 3rd to my achievements. So in away I'm going to review Tekken 6. However at what point though does a challenge no longer become fun? I know in order to have a sense of achievement you have to "Achieve" something, by over coming a challenge. It wouldn't be an achievement right with out a challenge.

However at some point something's are just made insanely hard to the point they aren't fun. When I say insanely hard, its not impossible as I wouldn't of got 100% completion but there has to be a point where its fun right?

So what in the hell did the person who created the end boss of "Azazel" have in mind? The moves he can pull off aren't fun. He can turn the fight round in a second by doing a string of stupidly annoying over powered moves. Let me describe Azazel, he's a huge ancient Egyptian god whoz been locked away for centuries. He's massive, has a great long tail. Not to mention the ability to fire lasers from his eyes, throw spikes at you and raise them from the floor to poke you. Oh an occasionally fly.

So the amount of times you have to fight this chap only to fail needing only one simple move to win is beyond annoying. Its to the point where it almost makes you feel like giving up on the game. However me being a stubborn sod that I am, I persevere till the end. But should you go through such an experience under the banner of something being fun?

Oh for those of you not familiar by now with the legendary Tekken series by Namco its a classic beat-em-up game.

So besides the annoying end boss Azazel, how is the game? Well to be honest Azazel is very annoying so any review will simply be marked down by just how annoying he is, however with that set aside.

We have the usual Beat-em-up game play options, Arcade, Survival, Team. Which all comes under the offline mode. There is of course an Online Vs mode. Which from personal experience was a little slow an annoying, took ages to match you with a player, an half the time I got matched with some players who are much higher experienced that myself which more than not ended in a very one sided affair. An the only other problem even on a so called strong connection with the other player, the match would lose connection mid way through, which was annoying. Could be my connection, not sure.

The bulk of the game however is taken up by a campaign Scenario mode, which is a heavy story based adventure. You go from map to map fighting mobs in a scrolling beat em style. This is fun and challenging but the graphics seem to be of a lower standard than other areas of the game, and its hugely let down by poor camera angles, often hiding enemies and your ally from view.

This mode reminded me heavily of the old story mode from another namco game Soul Caliber. While the story is good with some nice twists an turns it seemed to be the focal point of the whole game rather than just the normal arcade mode. The arcade mode and normal fights are graphically rich and the combat flows smoothly together. The new fighting arenas provide different tactics in the fight, with some having walls to pin an opponent against, to others having collapsing floor. Thou lot of this felt more gimmick than anything and not often providing much more than a slightly different back drop.

The Cgi end sequences from the characters once unlocked, look utterly gorgeous in there beautifully rended style, some are cool interesting end movies, others are more amusing light hearted affairs, all animated showing the games true graphically height.Overall there isn't much new in Tekken 6 that hasn't been covered in previous games, with the only real exception being the new scenario story gameplay. Any fan of the series is sure to love the latest version. Thou even as a fan of the series myself, having played and completed all the previous 5, the game still feels tarnished because of the awfully annoyingly designed end boss of Azazel, who you fight enough times to actually begin to regret playing. That being said, I enjoyed sections of the game, but its not going to make my personal gaming highlights or leave me wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment