Thursday 25 February 2010

"First listen cuts the deepest"

Not had the best of days, when I say that its not like its anybody else's fault but my own. Firstly I went to go food shopping this morning, to get the weekly shop. So off I pop only to find as I got there I'd gone and left my card behind so I wouldn't be able to buy anything. "D'oh!" so I had to pop home and get it, so back in the car to drive home. So I did the shop all fine the second time I arrived. Making me a little later than I'd hoped, so quickly grab lunch, get changed and head to work. After an hour or so there I realised I'd only gone and bloody left my keys at home meaning I couldn't get in the office or lock up later. So had to have my break early, just so I could then drive back home AGAIN to get my keys. What was more annoying I left work to go home, an realised with seconds to spare I'd left my front door key in my jacket in work, so dashed back in to get that. How damn annoyed would I have been if I'd gone home to find I'd left my house keys. Lucky I didn't or there may have been some blood spilled. So all in all I've driven out and back to my house FOUR times today. Frankly I'm bored of doing that same journey. In the words of Karl Pilkington "I can't be doing with it" so glad I've got a day off now so I don't have to do the journey again. Hmm forgetting things isn't fun.

*

This may seem like an obvious point, but I feel like saying it anyway. There is something very special about listening to an album for the very first time. A once in a lifetime experience. Sometimes its the culmination of 3 year wait since the last album, or the simple discovering of a brand new artist and experiencing the album for the first time. Its the moment you sit there an absorb each track fresh, make your impression of the song. Do you like it or not? Its feeling a connection with the song. Sometimes this connection changes when you listen to an album more an more. As you learn it and become more familiar with the song, but its the first ever listen that's the most special of all the listens. Anyway, as simple or as obvious a thing this may appear to be it still feels like a slight personal landmark the first time you listen to a new album. Or course this same feeling can be applied to other things such a film, or book etc. I just tend to take more notice of it when it occurs with music. Whether that's because there is more of an emotional connection who knows.

*

This may sound a little selfish, but have you ever loved something, but it hasn't been totally famous/popular and when it suddenly takes off part of you wish it hadn't? I mean you have discovered something off your own back, maybe stumbled on it, or were there from the start. Something happens to make it more popular, to put it into the lime light and part of you wishes it wasn't. Like it suddenly becomes less personal a somewhat secret love but now everyone knows about it. I guess its because you have been personally attached to it and now you feel everyone is intruding in on it. At the same time you are happy the thing you love is doing well and taking off, which also means that its more likely to continue with its new found popularity an fame. So of course there is good that comes from it, but just sometimes I get a little annoyed like something personal has been taken away, when you were there early on and helped to build the true fanbase. Though I do hate the phrase "There not as good now its gone commercial" when things get popular, you have people turn their back on it, just because it is "popular" I'd never do that as I'd want them to have the success, but it just takes a little of the personal connection away I feel. Maybe none of this makes sense to anyone else but me, but just felt like saying it none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment