Friday 5 February 2010

"I think its coming Sammy"


 
Having just finnished watching Season 4 of Supernatural I feel compelled to say how great the show is. A sign of a good show and creator to me is someone who has an overal plan for the show, some form of direction. Not just within the one season story arc, but when put over a multi season story arc. Something that builds over a longer time, sometimes just bubbling in the back ground. Supernatural has had this, hint at things to come, some mysteries and things building to something ever closer.
Ok it doesn't have a huge mystery/plot like Lost which is special in itself, but least Supernatural has a direction, something that other shows like Heroes seem to have lacked. It started well but seemed to get lost, I know it was effected by the writers strike, but then so were other shows like Lost, Supernatural. They coped far better, anyway this isn't me having a direct dig at Heroes.
The ending of Season 4 was gripping and only makes me crave for the next season, which is the whole idea of a season finale. I've just enjoyed the whole season and going to leave it there as I don't wish to go in depth with more reasons as to preserve any form of spoilers.


*

Bodly going where no man has gone before....or now in my case 1 million other users. As being somewhat of an MMO gaming veteran. (Massive Multiplayer online) there has always been one license that has screamed out for an MMO and until now never had one. Something as a kid I would dream of being part of, and that was Star Trek Online.
So I decided to don my uniform, sit aboard the bridge of my very own Starship and give it a go. First impressions are overwhelmingly good. There is a little bit of a learning curve, I thought steep but have adapted to it quicker than I thought. All the basic mmo characteristics are there, but then added in some new elements. Like space combat, so far this has been where the bulk of my game play has occured. An it is polished and slick, so works well. I've done mostly the patrol missions, which seem fun. However I can imagine they get a little tedius after a while just because of the lenght in time it takes to do.
Also ground combat feels a little basic, simple may be a fairer discritption but unlike other MMO's I've played there isn't much to it in comparrison. Mostly pointing my phaser (gun) and firing. Be nice if some other elements are added later to the game.
Anyway as I've said, its only just come out, like most MMO's that means its only the start of the journey. Where we go from there is up to the the gamers, and what ever exciting new things the developers will throw at us.
The game has launched to 1 million user accounts created, which is a very good sign. Even if the user base drops by half a month or two down the line thats still a respectable user base to be getting on with. I've known many MMO's that toddle along with less. Anyway I'm also myself only at the starting point of the game, lots more to discover myelf yet. However lets hope that Star Trek online has the ability to "Live long and prosper" (cheesy but had to be done)

No comments:

Post a Comment