Sunday 28 February 2010

The Trophy quandry

Do achievements/Trophies force you to play in a way you wouldn't normally?


What I'm talking about for those not sure is on your X-Box and your PS3 you gain achievements/Trophies while playing games. They are then all compiled together on your profile and other people can come along an have a nose, in a way to see how good you are at the game. Depending on the game they can differ greatly, but for example a football game may set a trophy as "Win 3 games" or "Score 10 goals in one match"

There are different levels of difficulty depending on the level of reward. Now my question is, does the implementation of these trophies force you to play in a different way from what you would normally do. Is this a good thing or not?

For some people its all about going out and achieving the most you can with the games and earning the most trophies. Other people just play the game casually and unlock the rewards as they go. My biggest problem with the system is however, if a trophy asks you to do something repetitive, not within your normal play style to achieve. Like collection certain objects in game, especially if they provide no reward other than the end result of the trophy itself.

Is this forcing players to play in a style an way in which the developers want you to? Breaking your normal style to fit in with how they intend you to play the game? Sometimes I feel this can be the case, but at the same time isn't it better to experience everything that has been built into the game? By pushing you into areas normally you would neglect to do?

I think its a tough question to truly answer, as its a mix bag of yes and no answers. Some things are good, some aren't. I feel personally as I've paid for the game an by getting say 100% or as much as I can, that I've personally got as much out of the game as I can. Indeed getting my moneys worth from it. An I think it does instill a sense of pride especially if you have worked hard to achieve it. I think the most important factor is the game has to be fun in order for you want to achieve it, not because you feel you have to. An isn't that the main reason to play a game in the first place, because you enjoy it?


*


Speaking on the matter of games, I achieved Commander rank in Star Trek Online the other day. Still playing hard at the game and still enjoying it. I meant to write a review at some point but I never got round to doing it. I should post a few screenies at some point, but I actually lack any real graphic editing software on my new comp. Trying to get hold of a copy of Photoshop, just wish it didn't cost so damn much.

No comments:

Post a Comment